13 September 2011

Do you know the way to San Jose?

Why did I decide to go to San Jose State University (SJSU) for nursing school? The answer is simple: because my godsister lived there. Choosing a school for this reason was quite possibly the most ignorant thing I have ever done, but it was a great choice and everything worked out just as it was supposed to. I don’t know that I would have had the same experiences had I not gone to SJSU. My professors, mentors and friends all shaped my college experience and I honestly cannot imagine having gone to another school.

I first began to think about college in the 10th grade, when my English teacher assigned a college portfolio project. We had to attend a local college fair at California State University, Long Beach and include college pamphlets and other materials from the fair. We were also asked to list three colleges we were considering applying to, providing a one-page write-up on each. I chose to write about Hampton University, the University of San Francisco and San Jose State University. I chose the University of San Francisco, because it is a private school, and Hampton University, because it is a historically black university, but I really wanted to go to SJSU.

My desire to attend SJSU was solely based on the fact that my godsister lived in the city. I had always looked up to my godsister as if she were my biological sister. I have fond memories of spending time with her at my godparents’ home. One time in particular, I was in 7th grade, and my mom took me to visit them. My godsister asked how I was doing in school. When I told her I was getting good grades, she confirmed that with my mom and said she wanted to reward me. She took me on a shopping trip to the mall. The clothes she purchased for me that day became my most cherished pieces of clothing. I wore the pants and shirts until long after they were too small for me.

I also remember a time when my godsister really came through for my little sister and me. It was Christmas time, and we had a tree, but no gifts under it. At the time, my godsister was working at BEST. I looked out the window one afternoon and noticed her walking to our house with a large black trash bag. It was filled with toys! She put the toys under the tree, talked to my mom for a while and left. Those were the only toys we received that Christmas. My mother didn’t have the money to buy anything for us, so that year my godsister stepped in as Santa Claus.

She and her husband married and moved to Washington when I was 12.Fortunately, they moved back to California when I was in ninth grade, settling in San Jose. In the spring of my 11th-grade year, they had their first child. I thought it would be nice to live close to them so I could help with the baby. With them being in close proximity, I also felt like I was on my own, without being completely alone.

The summer between my 11th and 12th grades, I spent a week in San Jose with my godsister and her family. I had the opportunity to see the city, and we even took a self-guided tour of the SJSU campus. Oddly enough, the day we went to campus was the first day of the 1999-2000 school year. I enjoyed walking around the campus; it wasn’t too big and it wasn’t too small. I had the chance to see the building that housed the School of Nursing. Because the students were already on campus, I also had the chance to interact with them. Some of the boys even flirted with me. College boys! Oh yes, this was definitely the school for me!

When I talked with my mom about applying to college, she told me I should apply to Long Beach City College, because she couldn’t afford to send me anywhere else. I was crushed, but I applied to SJSU anyway. I knew I didn’t want to stay in Long Beach after graduating from high school. Long Beach is a nice city and all, but I knew that, if I didn’t venture out, I wouldn’t amount to much. I had watched other classmates who graduated before me, and I noticed a trend—staying around home provided a sense of comfort and security that prevented them from reaching their full potential. I didn’t want that for myself. I wanted to become everything I had the potential to become.

SJSU was the only school I applied to. I was accepted and I traveled to San Jose with my mom and godmother during the spring of my 12th-grade year for freshman orientation. During the orientation, I enrolled in my fall-semester classes and I was given a tour of the campus. I came back to school the following Monday with my college ID. It was official; I was going to college and it wouldn’t be at the local city college. I showed the ID to all my friends and teachers.

I spent the summer after high school graduation working to save money for college, then began school at SJSU in August. The rest is history, or maybe just another blog post.

For Reflections on Nursing Leadership (RNL), published by the Honor Society of Nursing, Sigma Theta Tau International.

No comments:

Post a Comment