18 August 2011

Age is just a number

I have a confession to make: I have a slight complex regarding my age. As I enter the last year of my 20s, I have had a lot of time to reflect on my achievements and accomplishments. I must say, I’m proud of myself! I’ve done a lot in the last 28 years. But I have also been discriminated against and discredited because of my age. Unfortunately, the negative comments about my age had a greater effect on me than the positive remarks I have heard.

During the 5 1/2 years I worked in labor and delivery, there was one question I dreaded more than any other—“How old are you?” I recognize that I look much younger than I am—maybe someday I’ll learn to appreciate it—so it’s not a surprise that my patients have a habit of inquiring about my age. Still, something about asking my age makes me believe I am not as trusted a nursing professional as some of my older colleagues.

Some may say I’m overreacting, but I have seen the look in the eyes of women under my care when I tell them my age. I have also heard the change of tone in their voices. Many a night I swallowed my pride, picked my feelings up off the ground and continued to work through my shift, knowing that, solely because of my age, my patient or members of her family were suspicious of my abilities as a labor and delivery nurse.

I’ve also seen the positive side of telling people my age, but honestly, overly congratulatory folks don’t make me feel any better than their negative counterparts. When they hear that I’m 20-something, their eyes light up and they make comments like, “Oh, my goodness, I am so proud of you!” This type of reaction makes me wonder what exactly are people so proud of.

Now, if I mentioned the awards and honors, scholarships and grants, and leadership experience listed on my curriculum vitae, I would expect the shocked reaction. But, is a reaction like this warranted, simply because I became a registered nurse at age 24? Is that really a great accomplishment? When nursing diploma programs were the most highly coveted way to become an RN, 20- and 21-year-olds were graduating with a nursing license. So again, I don’t really understand the excitement about a 20-something-year-old woman who has decided to become a registered nurse.

What I have begun to tell myself, whether the comments regarding my age are positive or negative, is that age is just a number. There are numerous people who did great things at a young age:
  • Martin Luther King Jr. received his doctorate degree from Boston University at age 26. He went on to become the father of the civil rights movement.
  • Mark Zuckerburg co-founded the Facebook social networking site at age 20. Time magazine named him Person of the Year in 2010.
  • At age 25, Lady Gaga was the highest paid celebrity under 30, according to Forbes magazine. She already has three Billboard Music Awards and five Grammy Awards, and she has set many Guinness world records, including the fastest-selling single on iTunes.
  • Bill Gates was only 24 years old when he co-founded Microsoft. His company has become one of the world’s most recognizable and its software the most utilized. As a matter of fact, I am using a Microsoft program to compose this article.
As you can see, a person’s age does not have to be a limiting factor. As nurse leaders, we have to move away from the mindset that nurses need to be in the profession 10-plus years before they can make any notable contributions. There are plenty of young nurses who have the experience and drive to move the profession forward. Those of us in Generation X may not accomplish tasks in the same manner as baby boomers, but trust and believe we can get the job done.

Young nurse leaders, don’t allow your colleagues to look down on you because of your age. Seasoned nurse leaders, don’t discredit the wonderful ideas of your younger colleagues, based on their age. And above all else, take hold of your dreams, no matter your age.

For Reflections on Nursing Leadership (RNL), published by the Honor Society of Nursing, Sigma Theta Tau International.

2 comments:

  1. I agree. I remember when I was the young cub and people did not want to listen to my wonderful ideas because they did not have the same vision or the same ability to dream big. You do. Don't lose that ever.

    My only advice to anyone is that you should watch, listen, and learn the norms/routine first then make suggestions for change or introduce new ideas. We, the seasoned crew, do get frustrated when people try to make change without experiencing or knowing what it is they are trying to change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soror Debra, you are correct. I'm glad I have been able to watch you (from afar) and apply the wisdom you give to my own life.

    ReplyDelete